Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Week of 2/8 class posting

This week we had a reading in all three of our books, they were all interesting but the Sleeter & Grant reading was the most interesting. At first I thought all the statistics would be boring to read about, but actually seeing statistics which are based upon collected data that prove and support something is thought provoking to say the least. Initially, even at the beginning of this class I was struggling with myself, because as a white female I felt that I personally did not contribute to racism. I have friends from all different cultures, and was fortunate enough to travel some of the world with my family which taught me to appreciate differences between people, but because of this class I understand institutional racism and I how am privileged in certain aspects. Coming to this understanding has made me more aware of what societal practices there are that do contribute to institutional racism. The statistics that are shown in Sleeter & Grant have given me solid data to see just some of the privileges I do have as a white, from earning more with a certain education level, to having a higher life expectancy. I guess even as "worldy" and knowledgeable as I thought I was I am still learning about why my life has turned out the way it has so far.

Also in the Sleeter & Grant reading the section on "How Students Are Grouped" the information given on Dual Immersion programs I found intriguing. We touched on it briefly in class, and I think that it is something that needs to be more wide spread in curriculum and school models across the nation. I personally think I would have loved being in a dual immersion program, not to mention that it would help me to speak to my boyfriends family more easily! I just think that is a great idea that can make a classroom more comfortable for a student learning English, and for a native English speaker to learn a foreign language. Prior to this reading I had heard of programs similar to this only a few times. I had read about a program in mainly affluent private schools where the parents wanted their children to learn Chinese, a language they consider will be prominent in the future. So the children were taught the subjects half in English and half in Chinese. Although I am pro multi-lingual learning, I do think that dual immersion programs with Spanish is more relevant in America today, with the largest portion of immigrants coming from Latin America and the Caribbean. I personally would love to work in a school in the future with programs like this.

Below is the link to a video that is about a school with a dual immersion program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akdsmMYv_uA

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I feel that the dual immersion program in schools, especially in elementary school, is a great way to get students to speak a different language. I know it would be frustrating and difficult at times but practicing the language everyday helps you better understand. Same thing with people who are not native English speakers. When they hear their classmates and teachers speaking in English, they will pick up the language quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your stance on a dual immersion program. I just wonder what it would cost the US to transform to this style of teaching. I think it would be most benificial as you said, to teach spanish because the latino/a population in the US is growing so quickly. I don;t know how this transformation will be possible with such practices like NCLB and English-only intsruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. link has been removed. Also, what made you post the link? Did you agree with it? How did the information relate to your post?

    ReplyDelete